Re-adjust your biological clock with Chryssie as your guide as we explore the untouched interior and stunning coastline of Western Crete. Walk through mountain pastures, swim from idyllic empty beaches, and learn how to prepare classic Greek dishes from the experts. Includes a day in Chania at the end of the tour with opportunities for shopping from local craft markets.
Shared accommodation in double or twin/triple bedded rooms/houses with bathrooms in friendly family-run hostels. Simple, comfortable, clean rooms but not luxurious.
All your guides are warm and welcoming and positively delight in showing off the beauty and culture of their country. But be prepared for the fact that the remoteness of the region does mean a rugged environment, with no paved paths and no nearby cash-points or medical facilities.
For more information and to book, please contact Chryssie via the Contact page.
Example itinerary below – more pictures on our Facebook page.
- Depart Stansted at 0640 hrs on Ryanair flight to Chania.
- Meet in Chania Arrivals hall and transport by minibus to Agios Ioannis where we will be staying with our host Antonis.
- Short walk to the “balcony” , admire the view , take pictures and acclimatise to the Mediterranean environment.
- Dinner in the common room, familiarize ourselves with the group. Relax and socialise.
- Cretan breakfast ,freshly prepared by Antonis’s wife.
- Off-road drive and easy walk to nearby cave. Photo opportunities.
- Local expert will introduce us to the local herbs and show us how to find them in their natural environment.
- Picnic in the hills.
- Return to Antonis’s hostel – opportunity to milk the sheep/goat and participate in cheese preparation.
- For the most daring – bungee jumping (!) from the bridge above the gorge (additional cost).
- Star-gazing with the naked eye.
- After breakfast, get ready for a moderately difficult walk (4-5hrs) descending to crystal clear sea and unspoiled beaches.
- Picnic on the beach and swim.
- Arrive at Agia Roumeli . We will stay here two nights.
- Get to know the village and settle in. Stelios (Antonis’s brother) and his French wife (the local doctor) are our hosts.
- Relax at Agia Roumeli. Swim or explore the village.
- Optional Samaria gorge walk. Couple of hours in the famous gorge with breathtaking views, exceptional nature, picture opportunities.
- If the sea is calm, kayaking is an idyllic way to explore the shoreline as there are no roads in the area. Remember we walked down here!
- Dinner and socialising – possibility to visit couple of bars in the village.
- Boat to Sfakia. 1.5 hrs journey.
- Drive via the attractive coastal town of Fragocastello to the mountains again.
- Snaky road uphill and dramatic scenery….have your cameras ready!
- Outdoor lunch hosted by the local shepherd. Maria (his wife ) cooks on a wood-fire.
- Janina, an expert on aromatherapy and herbal remedies, will explain how to identify beneficial herbs.
- Coffee and local teas.
- Drive north towards Chania to our next stop at Katerina’s Lodge in Malaxa
- Get to know another village with great views to the high mountains (2000m) and the port of Chania.
- Easy walk to the nearby gorge (1-2hrs)
- Or horse riding (50 euros per 90 minutes). Run by a lovely Scottish lady.
- Cooking lesson by Katerina, preparing the feast for dinner.
- Dimitris (Katerina’s husband) will organise musical entertainment.
- A day in Chania – a beautiful ancient city with a proud history and many delightful shops and markets.
- Visit to the arts and crafts park.
- Nearby beach with seafood taverna (meal not included in our price)
- Wander in the lovely Venetian port and the picturesque neighbourhoods of the city.
- Dinner in a lovely stylish restaurant .
- Return to Chania airport to meet Stansted flight departing 1230 hrs